It’s back-to-school season for younger students, and it’s also back to campus for millions of students heading to colleges and universities across the U.S. An estimated 20 million students will be moving in to college dorms and apartments over the next few weeks, when parents and students will be hauling everything from TVs and tablets to towels and bedding.
As a mom of four children, I moved two of my children in to college apartments over the last two weeks and got one high schooler ready for her senior year. I can relate to the multiple to-do lists, making sure students in my house have everything they need for a successful school year. Here are a few tips and favorites for back to school and back to campus:
- Embrace the back-to-school shopping haul. I love shopping for back-to-school items. Many parents dread the school supply lists, but I’ve always enjoyed taking the children to pick out a new backpack, crisp new pencils and nice pens. One of my favorite brands of pens is Pilot, an iconic brand for many reasons. The coolest pens we’ve found this year are the Pilot Frixion pens. They’re smooth writing, erasable and refillable, and come in fantastic colors. The erasable part is good for my daughter who has to use erasable pens in school. One of our product testers loves the erasable markers!
- Shopping for College Move-In. From firsthand experience, shopping for and setting up a college dorm or apartment is a huge task. Most parents and students are looking for a one-stop store with items at reasonable prices. I found a home décor superstore called At Home that offers everything from bedding and string lights (what college students rate top on their shopping lists) to underbed storage boxes and mattress covers (what moms rate highest on the list). At Home has a handy college checklist that is a must-have for new and returning students, and definitely for parents!
- Pack healthy lunches. One of my best tips involves lunchbox snacks. When my children were in grade school, I started a routine of placing bins of snacks in easy reach, making it easy for them to pack their own lunches. I grouped items like fruits and cheeses in easy-to-reach bins and refrigerator drawers to make it easy for them to assemble their own lunches. Items like Sargento’s Cheese Sticks and Snack Bites are still favorites in our house. Sargento Slices are also favorites for my high schooler’s favorite turkey and provolone sandwiches. Sargento Slices are always 100% real, natural cheese.
- It’s all about the lunch accessories. One of the biggest purchases for back to school is the new lunchbox and food containers. I discovered a BPA-free container called Goodbyn Bynto boxes that are perfect for packing a variety of foods. The bins have three roomy compartments and even include cool stickers that kids will love to use to personalize their Bynto boxes.
- Get some sleep. As most parents know, sleep can be elusive for the whole family when schedules change. The routine of a new school year may take time to adjust to, and natural sleep remedies like melatonin can come in handy for parents. Natrol Melatonin contains 5 mg of melatonin, a naturally-occurring hormone that promotes healthy sleep.
I hope you and your children embrace and enjoy the school year. It will be the holiday season all too soon! Follow more of the Back-to-School conversation on Twitter @momtalkradio.