Child Passenger Safety Week (CPS Week) is September 14-20, 2014. The goal of CPS Week is to make sure that all parents and caregivers are correctly securing all children in the right car restraints (rear-facing car seat, forward-facing car seat, booster seat or seat belt) for their ages and sizes. The week concludes on September 20th, when certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians will be available at car seat events across the country to offer advice and instruction. You can find a car seat inspection event or technician who can help here.
The best way to protect your children in the car is to put them in the right seat, at the right time, and use it the right way. Here are my top 10 best practice tips for child passenger safety:
- Before you install your car seat, take some time to read both the car seat instruction manual and your vehicle’s owner manual.
- Install your car seat using either LATCH or the vehicle belt system. You should not use both systems at the same time on a Britax car seat.
- The AAP recommends all infants and toddlers should ride in a Rear-Facing Car Seat until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car seat’s manufacturer.
- If you have difficulty installing your child seat securely, contact the manufacturer.
- To best protect your child in a crash, car seats must be installed correctly.
- Register your car seat with the manufacturer.
- If a child seat has been involved in a severe crash, or is past its expiration date, the seat should be replaced.
- Place the chest clip at your child’s armpit level.
- Bulky clothing or blankets can prevent a snug harness fit.
- The car seat should not move more than one inch front to back or side to side at the belt path.
You can get additional safety tips here.
To kick off Child Passenger Safety Week, I am hosting a MomTV Meetup sponsored by Britax on September 15th at 2pm ET. I will be interviewing Sarah Tilton, Child Passenger Safety Advocate for Britax. We will be talking about Child Passenger Safety Week, answering questions, and giving away 3 Britax car seats!
If you’ve never been part of a MomTV Meetup, its a fun and easy way to chat with other moms. Simply tune in and login as a guest or with a Twitter or Facebook account to chat. Watch the live video feed and participate in the chat to ask questions and enter to win prizes.
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @MomTalkRadio for more information about #CPSWeek!